Please note that marriage licenses are only valid for use in New York State. The license is valid after 24 hours and good for 60 days.
The fee is $40, payable by cash, card or money order.
How to Obtain
Couples must apply for a marriage license in person at the Office of the City Clerk, Room 104 weekdays by appointment and only for Westchester County residents, no walk-ins allowed. For an appointment please call 914-665-2348. If you are more than 10 minutes late for your appointment it will be rescheduled to avoid conflicts with social distancing policies. If you do not speak English please bring a translator with you.
Both parties must provide the following documents:
- Valid Government Issued Photo Identification (Choose any one of the following):
- Current Driver’s License (U.S. only)
- Current State-issued Non-Driver’s I.D.
- Valid Passport
- Original Naturalization Papers
- U.S. Military I.D.
- Certified (raised seal) Long Form (one with parents’ names) Birth Certificate. If the form is in a foreign language, a certified English translation must accompany the original.)
- Proof of current address (e.g.-lease, utility bill, or other correspondence)
- If this is not the first marriage, certified copies of all divorces/annulments/death documents must be supplied.
A Social Security Card is no longer a required document.
Foreign Language Documents
Any documents in a foreign language must be translated into English by a Certified Translator.
Failure to provide required documents may result in delay or denial of your application.
If you have additional questions, please phone the Office of the Mount Vernon City Clerk at 914-665-2348 during business hours.
How to Obtain a Copy of a Marriage License
Who Is Eligible?
Spouses listed on marriage license or a New York State Court Order
Please view the Request for Marriage Certification (PDF). Please note that this form must be notarized; driver license copies will no longer be accepted.