- 2023 Grievance Applications & Process
2023 Grievance Applications & Process
Applications & Process
Submittal Deadline ( June 20, 2023 from 4pm to 8pm) Assessor's Office RM 8
Completed grievance applications - accompanied by all supporting documentation - must be received by the Assessor’s Office no later than the close of the Grievance Hearings on the third Tuesday in June; no new grievance application shall be accepted upon adjournment of the Board of Assessment Review’s meeting on the third Tuesday in June . Prospective grievant are invited to contact the Assessor’s office prior to the third Tuesday in June, for assistance with completing the grievance application.
How to Submit
General requirements applicable to all grievance submissions include:
- All grievance applications must be received by the Assessor’s Office no later than the close of the Grievance Hearings on the third Tuesday in June.
- If filling for multiple properties each property must have its own application
- Only one grievance is legally permissible for each property.
- Please paper clip all pages (do not use staples). Single-sided documents are preferred.
- Completed grievance packets may be submitted in person or by mail (using USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc.) to:
City of Mount Vernon
Attn: Assessor’s Office
1 Roosevelt Square
Mount Vernon, NY 10550
- Confirm receipt of your submission with the Assessor’s Office.
- To receive a stamped receipt for a grievance packet, provide a self-addressed stamped envelope as well as the summary page listing the parcel number(s), legal address(s) and property owner name(s).
The Board of Assessment Review shall meet on the third Tuesday in June (Grievance Hearings), between the hours of 4 to 8 pm and at such other time or times as may be necessary and appropriate to review the complaints, objections, or grievances brought before them in relation to the assessment roll, and for that purpose may adjourn from time to time.
Scheduling a Hearing Appointment
It is not mandatory to testify in support of your application before the Board of Assessment Review, as they review all grievances whether the grievant appears or not, rendering a determination as to the final assessment based on the evidence included in the submission. If you wish to schedule a hearing appointment, please review the information below.
To schedule an appointment with the Board of Assessment Review, please contact the Assessor’s Office at 914-665-2325 or 914-665-2329, or by emailing the Assessor's Office. If you do not receive confirmation, your appointment has not been scheduled.
At the discretion of the Assessor, any grievance application received after 8 pm on June 20 may not be heard and considered by the Board of Assessment Review on the third Tuesday in June.
Complaint Review & Decision
Complaints are reviewed subsequent to Grievance Day by the 3-member known as the Board of Assessment Review (BAR) for five-year staggered terms.
Decisions of the BAR can be appealed to the Westchester County Supreme Court thirty days after the filing of the final assessment roll. The final assessment roll, by law, must be filed each year by August 1st. After deliberations of the BAR, all assessments changed or unchanged by the BAR, become final on August 1st.